Many of us have frequently heard the term VPN time and over again in various articles, or some videos where the author asks you to use it for your safety. But, are you really aware of what VPN is? How does it work? How to use it? And so on. You may get some information from sources here and there, but, how authentic is it? Therefore, it’s important to get the information from a trusted source which will give you stable grounds to establish your own VPN.
If you’re someone who is an internet freak or has loads to do on your computer accounting for a lot of different purposes, it is important for you to know all about VPN. And to make things easier, we’ve covered your back. This article will deal with all the things you need to know about VPN. So, get your pencils out and start jotting down!
VPN (Virtual Private Network): Introduction
VPN, an abbreviation for Virtual Private Network is an encrypted connection to add security and privacy to your internet network or wifi. This is generally used by companies to hide sensitive data and carry out certain corporate private tasks. VPN protects the addressee from hackers. However, using a VPN is becoming common amongst the teenage crowd, gamers, and bloggers of certain niche so that they can carry out their tasks too without any restriction.
VPN gives you an undercover to your network IP address and redirects your network IP to any other Gateway address city. That’s like a Sherlock working for you, isn’t it? Well, to be more precise, for example- if your connection is in the city of New York, with the help of a VPN gateway address, your location on the internet will be showcased in the city of London.
Why Should You Use A VPN?
There are a plethora of reasons because of which corporate houses opt for their own VPN as it provides them with security and no internet goofing revolving around their business. But, it is important for individuals to set up a VPN network as well. This is pure because when you are operating on a public network, there are chances that another person who is on the same public network as you can easily gain access to your information.
Does it technically work like a Sherlock? When you use a VPN, it keeps your data safe from hackers and internet gofers who are always up to some nasty business. VPN directs your IP address to a different network IP gateway address so that you’re safe when you’re surfing or making transactions online. Like for eg- If you’re a resident of London city, and you use a VPN, the hackers will locate you in New York City when they try to catch your data.
Benefits of Using a VPN:
Now that you’re acquainted with the concept of a VPN, we have also listed out the advantages of using a VPN address. This will help you decide on whether you should purchase your own VPN or not. The advantages of using a VPN include-
- Ensures Safety- It is a more secure way to access your personal information when you’re on the go. Many-a-times, when you’re working on a public network, there is a high possibility that any other person who is on the same public network as you can get easy access to the tasks you’ve performed using the same internet connection. Using a VPN ensures safe browsing as it does not allow any tampering of the data.
- Hide your discoverability- It has been seen in many cases that the business online uses specific methods to know what are you up to. Even if they don’t know your exact details, they are still aware that you have visited their website. Sometimes, even governments track down individuals using IP addresses. Using a VPN will prevent them to do so.
- End-to-End Encryption- Using a VPN means safe surfing in public networks or hotel/school wifi as it works on the algorithm of end-to-end-encryption. This also allows you to upload and access sensitive corporate data successfully without any fear of leaking the information. You can also share the P2P files much more securely.
- Easy Access To Websites- Many-a-times, a lot of content and websites are blocked on the basis of certain IP addresses. One is also not in a safe land while streaming Netflix and other streaming content outside the US. This can be seen in the case of some applications as well. Thus, using a VPN can help you gain easy access to these websites without landing yourself in legal trouble.
- More Privacy- Using a VPN ensures privacy which is least found on the internet medium. It becomes extremely important for an individual to keep one’s internet activity private. Remember the Facebook case? It almost knew anything and everything about you. This raises a serious question on one’s own privacy. Thus, VPN comes to rescue here.
How Does a VPN Works?
To make it very simple, what a VPN does is that it acts as a connecting link between you and your website on which you’re working or surfing. So, when you access the data from your laptop i.e. IP address, it reaches the VPN server which directs it to the website you want to visit. When the website collects the data, it cannot see your location but a different location all thanks to VPN which has used an IP gateway address on your name when you visited the website. For eg- If you are in the city of Tulsa, the IP gateway address will showcase it as the City of Nancy.
There are mainly two types of VPN servers which are working-
- Site-To Site VPN- This type of service is mostly used by the corporate to establish a secure VPN connection from one remote location to a network in a different location. Here, you can securely access and log in to your company software and operate on it without worrying about any temperament in the data or log-in.
- Remote Access VPN– A remote access VPN securely connects devices outside of the office. i.e. it can be used for your personal use as well. You can access this VPN on almost all devices namely laptops, tablets, mobile phones, etc.
Both the VPNs are used to set up a Virtual Private Network to cover the original IP address with an IP Gateway access which will maintain your privacy in both personal and professional cases.
The 5 Best VPN Services 2020 are as follows:
ExpressVPN service is amongst one of the most used VPN services worldwide. This is because it has access to an impressive number of 148 server locations around the globe, more than 2000 servers, and 30,000 IP addresses. This VPN service is one of the fastest VPN services which provide you with thundering speeds which you cannot ignore.
The features of ExpressVPN include
- It gives you access to unlimited bandwidth VPN which is built for speed.
- You can have your virtual presence felt from 148 locations worldwide. No more prying eyes on your activity.
- The problem of blocked websites and services is practically solved completely.
- ExpressVPN keeps on activity record or logs which means your downloads and activity areas private as your activity.
- The encryption is enabled with the help of split tunneling, 256- Bit AES, DNS/IPv6 algorithms.
- In case of any help, you can contact the emergency helpline or have a live chat to resolve any issue.
This company also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with its services. Also, it can be accessed on a maximum of 3 devices. It is compatible with Windows, Linux, iOS, Mac, routers, and the list goes on.
2. Nord VPN
Nord VPN has some of the cheapest VPN plans which also offer easy payment methods via a lot of options such as Bitcoins, PayPal, Credit cards, etc. It can connect up to a maximum of 6 devices easily. It includes a total of 5000+ servers and access to more than 60 network location countries.
The features of Nord VPN include-
- There is an option of ‘Quick Connect’ which will connect you to the best and readily available server at that moment.
- Nord VPN ensures military-grade encryption so that you can use it safely in public networks and any other third party networks securely.
- It promises to offer blazing speeds irrespective of your location.
- The VPN gives you hassle-free access to unlimited websites, streaming medium and other social sites.
- It comes equipped with a ‘Kill Switch’ technology which will ensure that your data will never be exposed under any given circumstances.
- It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24X7 support in case of any required assistance.
This VPN provider is best known in the teenage crowd mainly because of cheap plans and blazing speeds. A lot of customers have given it thumbs up as it allows them to stream Netflix without any disturbance whatsoever. It also comes with a no log in policy which makes it use the service faster.
3. IPVanish VPN
This VPN is known the best amongst frequent torrent users as it owns and manages its own servers. IPVanish has 1100+ servers, 60+ network access locations, 40000+ IP addresses and can support up to 10 maximum devices at one go. It also boasts of giving some impeccable download speeds to its users and a large number of torrent users explain it all.
The features of IPVanish VPN are as follows-
- You can download its user-friendly application within seconds.
- It ensures 256- bit AES encryption.
- Enables zero traffic logs with unlimited bandwidth.
- It also provides unlimited server switching and access to censored content.
- Unlimited P2P transfers along with SOCKS5 web proxy.
- Guarantees 24X7 support along with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish does give you the fastest speeds along with complete online protection. The plans are also affordable and value for money as compared to what it has to offer. With a lot of servers, you also have a range of protocols to choose from as per your needs.
4. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost is perhaps one of the VPN providers which automatically connect you to a website with the best VPN possible at the moment. It has more than 3000 servers, access to 60+ server network locations and can support up to 7 devices. The plans are also not too pricey which is a win-win as compared to the premium services it offers to its customers. Unlike other providers, this one works with versions and has been in this field for 7 years.
The features of CyberGhost VPN are as follows-
- Post payment, you can activate the services with just a single click.
- It follows the process of automation where the servers get connected automatically as per the availability.
- You also have the option to customize your own privacy rules.
- It enables the automatic kill switch option.
- CyberGhost offers DNS and IP leak protection.
- It comes with OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec and PPTP protocols.
It also comes with a no-log in the policy. Along with unlimited bandwidth and no traffic features, you also gain access to unlimited Netflix streaming from anywhere in the world option. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and Routers. It also has an application that you can download and follow. The all-new CyberGhost 7.0 allows you to make privacy as your default setting.
5. SurfShark VPN
This is the cheapest VPN plan you will ever get and it does literally has a lot more to offer for this price. It offers unlimited streaming access with over 500+ servers across 50+ cities around the world.
The features of SurfShark VPN are as follows-
- Free CleanWeb ad and malware blocker with all plans.
- The obfuscated servers will make sure that even your ISP will be unaware of your VPN usage.
- The Whitelist features enable safe bypass of VPN.
- Fast speed across all the devices you connect.
- SurfShark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The VPN is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, Chrome, Firefox, and Mac along with 24X7 life support. It is popular amongst the teenage group for unlimited safe downloads and the speed it has to offer.
Is it Legal to Use a VPN?
Yes, it technically is legally safe to use the VPN in most of the countries. If you’re in the USA, Europe, UK then it is completely legal. However, do check the situation in your country before you opt for a VPN plan. It is mostly debarred from Gulf countries, China, Russia, Turkey, etc. It is always advisable to go through the complete protocol before making a decision as you’ll be paying for VPN plans.
Getting a VPN service is not at all a lengthy process. You just have to go to the website of the desired VPN provider and subscribe to one of the plans which they have showcased. Once you make the payment, you will have to give in some details and your VPN connection will be established and activated. We know that it’s a daunting task to find the best VPN for your connection. Therefore, we have listed some of the best VPN services available in the market today.