WhatsApp is a popular chatting platform with more than a billion users worldwide. You can chat with anybody, no matter the distance. Moreover, you can share files, pictures, documents, locations, and much more. A lot of data is shared and to keep it safe, the application provides an option to backup.
Regardless, owing to some mistake, you could have lost some or all of your important data. By following these steps, you can recover the deleted chats:
Steps To Recover Deleted Whatsapp Messages:
Before anything, it is important to ensure that you have backed up your WhatsApp chats. This is the easiest way of recovering chats as they are backed up:
- Go to WhatsApp Settings and then select the ‘Chats’ option.
- Go to ‘Chat Backup’ and set the appropriate frequency. You are also required to choose a Google account to which the chat will be backed up.
- The frequency will decide when the chats will be backed up automatically. This could be set to daily, weekly, monthly or never.
In both, iOS and Android, the process is similar. You could either backup manually or set a frequency. If the chats are backed up, it is easier to restore them.
How To Restore Whatsapp Chat on iOS & Android?
In smartphones, almost all the data is backed up frequently. WhatsApp is no exception. In the case of android, it is backed up in Google Drive while in iOS, it is backed up in iCloud. The backup depends upon the frequency selected. It is advisable to set the frequency to ‘Daily’ to not lose your important data. There is another way to restore messages through local backup. Though, if the messages are deleted in iOS and not backed up, there is no way to recover them.
If in any case, some part of or the whole chat is deleted, it might be backed up. The process to be followed in this case is the same on both the OS. To restore the chat or chats uninstall WhatsApp. Reinstall the app and finish setting it up. After it is set up a prompt message will appear, asking whether you wish to Restore messages or not. Tap ‘Restore’ and all the messages that have been backed up will appear whether or not you have deleted them.
Alternative Way To Restore Backed Up Chats On Android:
If your chats are backed up, the files will be saved to your Google Drive and phone’s memory. The phone’s files are called a local backup. To restore WhatsApp chats from a local backup, follow these steps:
- Go to the File Manager and visit the WhatsApp folder. Open Database.
- Rename the file saved as ‘msgstore.db.crypt12’ to ‘msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12.’ This file is the most recent backed up file and the renaming prevents it from being overwritten.
- Few of the files in the Database are saved as ‘msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12.’ These are older backups. You need to rename the latest one as ‘msgstore.db.crypt12.’
- Next, open Google Drive of the account to where the WhatsApp chats are backed up. Visit the ‘Backups’ option. Delete the WhatsApp backup. This will make your smartphone restore the data from the local backup.
- Uninstall WhatsApp and then reinstall the app. When you are done setting it up, it will display a prompt message to restore the chats from the local backup.
- Select the ‘Restore’ option and you will find your deleted chats back.
Backup Your Chats To Prevent Data Loss:
There are many instances where you need to use the backup file. You could accidentally delete your data, your phone could get lost or you need to use WhatsApp on a new device. In all cases, the backup file is the most crucial thing. Android smartphones do provide a safety net but in iOS smartphones, once it is lost, it is lost forever. Therefore, it is important to backup chats in WhatsApp else you will always carry the risk of losing them.
Make sure to backup data to the Google Account you have access to. If the Google Account cannot be accessed, your WhatsApp backup will be safe but not within your reach. There are other apps too, that could restore your data. Though, it is advisable to stick to the safest and easiest method. As long as they are backed up, you do not need to worry about losing them.